Great Breakfast Recipes, About 300 Calories Each
We have all heard the phrase, “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”. Yet, many of us don’t eat breakfast. A couple of our excuses are that we don’t have enough time in the morning, or that we are not hungry. Yet, one of the best ways to increase our metabolism is to eat breakfast. It is also an important way to get our brains focused for the day.
So here are some breakfast ideas for you (Adapted from Fitness Magazine, September 2007):
Each breakfast is approximately 300 calories.
- 1 frozen whole grain waffle
- ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt or ¼ cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup fresh berries or frozen mixed berries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
To make: Toast waffle and top with yogurt, berries and maple syrup
- 1 packet plain instant oatmeal
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
To make: prepare oatmeal with milk. Microwave apple, cinnamon and brown sugar for 1 to 2 minutes. Top oatmeal with apples and walnuts.
- 1 egg plus 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons spicy salsa
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese
- 1 whole grain tortilla
To make: In a pan over medium heat, scramble all ingredients together. Fill tortilla with mixture.
- 1 slice whole grain bread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup sliced peaches
To make: toast bread. Stir vanilla into cottage cheese. Top toast with cottage cheese and peaches.
- 5 ounces fat-free Greek Yogurt
- ¼ cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 cup whole grain cereal
- 1 tablespoon honey
To make: top yogurt with apricots, cereal and honey.